It's my absolute favorite food day of the year...National Popcorn Day!! I absolutely love popcorn, it is hands down my favorite food. Given the choice between pretty much any food in the world and popcorn, I would choose popcorn. In honor of this holiday celebrating my very favorite food in the world, I'm sharing my secret recipe for homemade popcorn...beware it's addicting!
- Whirley Pop Stovetop Popcorn Popper
- 1/2 teaspoon Flavacol popcorn seasoning
- 1/2 cup white or yellow popcorn kernels
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- If you haven't already, follow the instructions included with your Whirley Pop to season it. If your Whirley Pop is brand new, it make take a few times to get super flavorful popcorn...it's kind of like a cast iron skillet in that it seasons with each use!
- Next add the coconut oil to the drum of the Whirley Pop and place it on a burner on high heat.
- Once the coconut oil is melted, add the kernels and seasoning salt, and turn the handle QUICKLY. I can't emphasize this part enough, this is what keeps the popcorn from burning and allows the seasoning to spread out evenly. Our first Whirley Pop had plastic gears, Jake broke it he was spinning so quickly! We replaced it with the one linked above which has metal gears and so far it is holding up just fine :)
When we first starting dating, Jake and I would go to the movies almost once a week. Now that are on a stricter budget (hello mortgage!), we have traded our rather expensive trips to the movie theatre for movie nights at home with Netflix or Redbox, a bottle of wine, and this homemade popcorn! What are some of your favorite date night in recipes?